by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
Oh yes! May is
National Hamburger Veggie Burger Month, so fire up the grill or the cast
iron skillet, and let’s make some burgers! I like this recipe a lot because the cashews add crunch, the
quinoa adds protein and there is a ton of flavor!
Cashew Quinoa Burgers
Makes about 5 burgers
1 tsp coconut oil, or high-heat oil of your choice
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced fine
¼ cup red pepper, diced fine
¼ cup yellow onion, diced fine
1/8 cup parsley, chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup raw cashews, chopped
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP coriander
1 TBSP smoked hot paprika
3 TBSP vital wheat gluten
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP tahini
1 tsp sea salt
¼ cup water
1 each lemon, just the zest
1. Place food raw cashews in food processor until finely
chopped, or chop by hand. Should
not be a flour or dust.
2. Sauté garlic, onions, red peppers and carrots in the oil
over medium high heat for about a minute. This is a quick saute so the veggies retain their fresh texture.
3. Place sauteed veggies in a large bowl and add cashew pieces, warm
quinoa, parsley, spices, salt, tahini, lemon zest and water. Mix well.
4. Add the cornstarch and wheat gluten and mix well.
5. Form into 4 oz patties, you can use a ring mold to create a
perfect patty. Line a sheet pan
with wax paper, place the patties on it, wrap in plastic wrap and let the patties set for 24 hours in a refrigerator. You can also place in a sealable container.
6. Once ready, brush each patty with a bit of oil and place on
grill or in a hot sauté pan. Cook
each side for about 2 – 3 minutes or until there is a nice golden color on each
7. Serve on a warm bun with your favorite toppings!
I really like love the Cashew Quinoa Burger with fresh herb mayo! Mix together the following ingredients
and slather on a bun!
½ cup Vegenaise
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan recipe, vegan restaurant, vegan burger recipe