by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
guys may remember our Tiramisu from the Valentine’s Day Special Meal, which
included a Classic Vegetable Lasagna, Caesar Salad and Roasted Garlic Bread…. gosh darn! That was a delicious special. Well, we received so many requests for the Tiramisu
recipe that I made it for the Tuscan Dinner party Cooking demo in March, and
now I will share it with you too!
A few notes… Tiramisu literally means “pick me up”
referring to the caffeine in the coffee, which offers a post meal energy boost. Ladyfingers (which are traditionally
used as the cake part of Tiramisu) are light and sweet sponge cakes shaped like
a large finger. They are typically not vegan, as they use eggs to give a
“spongy” texture. So we are going
to make our own Ladyfinger cake! Several
vegan cream cheese brands are available in grocery stores like Tofutti Brand
(make sure to but the non-hydrogenated version!) or Galaxy Nutritional
Foods. You can also try making
your own with cashews. I used the
Tofutti brand in this recipe.
Il Dolce! Tiramisu
cups unbleached white flour
cups organic sugar
tsp baking powder
tsp vanilla extract
cup safflower oil
cup rice milk
tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a 9×13 pan, then dust with flour.
3. Place all dry ingredients together in a
mixing bowl and mix on medium for 1 minute.
4. Lower the speed to low and slowly add
the wet ingredients to dry.
5. Pour batter into greased pan.
6. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Test center with knife or toothpick
making sure it comes out clean.
7. Allow cake to cool completely before
soaking in Coffee Liqueur.
cup organic strong coffee grounds
TBSP organic sugar
1. Brew the coffee using the 1 cup of
grounds and the 3 cups of water.
2. Once brewed, stir in the sugar until
3. Place in fridge and allow coffee to
cool completely before soaking the cake.
oz vegan cream cheese
tsp vanilla extract
1. Place all ingredients in a mixer or
blender and mix well. Store in
fridge until ready to use.
Cut the cake into 12 pieces.
2. Dip the top half of each piece of cake
into the Coffee Liqueur for 5 seconds (no longer).
3. Place dipped cake pieces in fridge
(dipped side up) and allow to chill for 2 hours.
4. Top each piece with 2 oz Mascarpone
Cream and 1 tsp chocolate shavings.
Native Foods Cafe, vegan, vegan food, vegan recipe, vegan restaurant, vegan tiramisu