by Chef Kendall Huff
Native Foods Cafe
Looking for a new taco filling? Or a new topper for your brown rice? Well, I would like to suggest Drunken Beans! They are super easy and delicious. Sometimes I make homemade chipotle seitan sausages and top with drunken beans… kind of like a Mexican Chili Dog…. soooo delicious. And they go great with the Jicama Salsa I posted yesterday. So warm up those tortillas, and let's get borracho!
Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans!)
Makes 4 to 5 servings
15 oz pinto beans
15 oz kidney beans
12 oz dark beer*, or low-sodium veggie stock
1 cup white onion, diced
¼ cup jalapeno, diced with seeds
1 ½ TBSP dried oregano
2 cups diced organic tomatoes
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP lime zest
1. Sauté the onions and diced jalapeno in 2 TBSP of water
for about 1 minute.
2. Add both beans and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the beer (or stock) and allow the alcohol to cook
out, will take about 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
4. When the beer/stock has reduce by half, add the diced
tomatoes, dried oregano and sea salt. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes. The
ingredients should be getting thick.
5. Remove the pan for the heat and finish with the cilantro
and lime zest.
*Dark Vegan Beer- Dark beers include porters and stouts. Check out Barnivore.com for a FULL list
of vegan beverages from all over the world!