This recipe serves four (and is also great as taco filling!)
1 lb. fresh cactus “paddles”
2 qt. water
½ ea. onion
3 ea garlic cloves, peeled
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup corn kernels
½ cup chopped red onion
1 cup pear cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup cooked kidney beans, drained
½ cup cilantro leaves, lightly chopped
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp. chipotle “juice”
- Shave thorns from cactus paddles and cut cactus pads into thin strips (about ¼” wide).
- Boil 2 qt water in saucepan with ½ onion, garlic cloves and salt, add cactus and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- In the meantime place corn kernels, chopped red onion, cherry tomato halves, kidney beans and cilantro in mixing bowl.
- In separate small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, chipotle juice, orange zest and sea salt.
- Toss nopales with other ingredients and lime juice mixture.
- Serve over some lettuce leaves and fresh avocado garnish and some warm corn tortillas!